We encourage use of the blue tote to assist us in keeping our Village clean and greatly reduce rodent, insect and litter problems. In the event you have “overflow” of refuse and have more materials than your tote can hold you can utilize additional containers provided that the follow acceptable preparation:
- All material is contained in a container or bag.
- Plastic or metal cans that are no larger than 35 gallons.
- All bags or containers cannot weigh more than 50 lbs.
All recycling materials must be placed in the green tote. Extra material can wait until the following pickup day or taken to our recycling site located at the Public Works building at 5532 West 98th Street, Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm. Items left at the curb in other containers, will be considered refuse. If you regularly have surplus material, consider requesting an additional green tote, there is no additional cost.
Due to the unusually large demand for brown yard waste totes this year, the Village of Oak Lawn is currently sold out for the 2020 season. As in the past, you can continue to dispose of your yard waste in brown paper bags or your own 35 gallon cans with a yard waste sticker affixed to the side. Yard waste stickers are available at the Village Hall at no cost. No plastic bags will be accepted.
Containment requirements for yard waste are as follows:
- A yard waste sticker must identify the container and be visible from the street.
- Reinforced 33-Gallon Kraft paper bags are acceptable containment.
- Yard Waste will NOT be accepted in plastic bags.
- Brush or branches are to be properly contained, bagged or bundled and tied, so that one person can safely load it into the truck (4’ or less in length, and 50 pounds or less). All stone and dirt must be removed from shrubs.